Monday, February 28, 2011

Sell Customer Solutions Not Products

Most products or services are looking for a market.  You must stand out in the marketplace by creating solutions for real problems in your customer’s lives.

I did an unscientific survey of window and door dealer websites. I put on my customer hat and went looking for windows for our old house.  I was so confused and felt bombarded by products looking for customers. With few exceptions window and door dealer websites all look the same to me.

  • OUR HISTORY
  • ENERGY EFFICIENCY
  • SECURITY
  • WARRANTY
  • COLOR AND GRID OPTIONS
  • KINDS OF WINDOWS
    • ALUMINUM
    • FIBERGLASS
    • VINYL
    • WOOD
  • MANUFACTURER CHOICES
So you’re looking for customers who want your stuff and I’m a customer looking for solutions to my situation.  We’re playing the Match Game.  I click in and out of the selections looking for a match until I tire of the effort and leave your website.

Reverse your perspective from featuring product solutions to customer solutions.  What is your customer’s environment?  Maybe it looks more like this:

  • OLD HOMES
  • NEW HOMES
  • BADLY BUILT HOMES
  • COLD CLIMATES
  • HOT CLIMATES
  • CUSTOMERS
    • HOME OWNERS
    • BUILDERS / ARCHITECTS
    • REMODELERS
    • HOA
If your perspective is that windows are fundamental, that is a basic necessity, then it stands to reason you’d also think a house is a house is a house.

I suggest dealers get a new perspective on windows.  There is no opportunity in windows being fundamental.  The opportunity is to show customers that win
dows are solutions to their lives and that you can create that.


Sharon Aby
Beyond Ideas

2 comments:

Desert Breeze Glass said...

Sharon,In your onest oppinion, can you give me 1 web site that you like?
Windows and doors=
Auto glass=

Steven Scheeler

Sharon Aby said...

Steven, Windows and doors, look at Woodlandwindowsanddoors.com and for Auto glass, look at safelite.com In the first case it is their focus on target markets vs products. In the second example they've identified the types of problems and what I need to know as a customer to get my problem fixed. Thanks for your note. Sharon